Oil and Gas – Geothermal Resources
On July 4, 2023, the Alberta Energy Regulator released a new edition of Directive 001: Requirements for Site-Specific Liability Assessment, which includes the following changes:
- Removal of irrelevant or duplicative information, updates to the regulatory requirements and formatting standards, including moving the forms out of the directive;
- The definition of liability assessment was revised to emphasize the obligations of licensees to provide care and custody from shut-down of operations through suspension, abandonment, remediation and reclamation of sites;
- Inclusion of sites regulated under the Geothermal Resource Development Rules and Brine Hosted Mineral Resource Development Rules within the scope of the directive;
- Integration of the Appendix 2 requirements into the main body; and
- Removal of the requirement to submit the On-Site Reclamation and Remediation Details, and the Facility Summary forms.